Friday, August 8, 2008

The Sun appears!

It was nice out today, which meant that there was actually sun for a good few hours, before the cloud cover returned. But it was also warmer and much drier, so I didn't have to carry my umbrella around with me. I brought a U of Ed parka just in case, which I bought this morning, and think will come in useful when it's drizzly out.

I explored from about 10-ish until 4 or so, which my feet are sorely regretting, but it was good to see everything from somewhere other than the underside of my umbrella. :) I also took advantage of the weather to buy all my textbooks, and only looked through them for a minute, because they scare me a bit. I read a paragraph and got really nervous cause there was just so much new information in that one paragraph, that I don't know how I'm going to learn it all, but somehow I will!

In other news, I have met my first vet student! Her name is Jessica, and she is very nice :) We're going to dinner right after this.

Anyway, on to pictures!

A view of Arthur's Seat from Pollock Halls. I haven't yet made it up, but once my feet recover from the last few days exploring I'll hopefully have a nice walk up.
*
Baird House!
*
Queen's Hall, which is the headquarters of live music in Edinburgh. Haven't yet been in, but hopefully I'll get a chance at sometime during the Fringe.
*
A Police box, which may or may not double as the Tardus. (For those of you who don't know, google Dr. Who & the Tardus, and you'll see what I mean)
*
So far this is my favorite part of town. the Street is West Bow, which comes off Cowgate Head, and doubles back. At the end of the street are a few Joke shops, where they sell such things as gigantic Tam-o-shanters and silly wigs.
*
First view of the Fringe! Haven't explored too much of the Fringe yet, but I enjoyed the touristy shops, and bought my first pair of wellies and a tartan scarf (cashmere, mm)!
*
Inside of St. Giles Cathedral. This picture doesn't do it justice at all, cause you can't see the stained glass, but there was a 2 pound charge for a "picture license" so I had to be discrete :)
*
Bellevue Rendezvous, a really cool acoustic group that was playing in the cathedral. The instruments are a fiddle, a nychelharpa, and a mandolin (L-R). Very cool.
*
A view of the North Bridge from down below. It's a very nice bridge, but unfortunately hard to see over while you're on it, so I think you miss out on a lot of really cool pictures because of it.

Anyway, that's all for now, I'm starving, so it's off to dinner!

No comments: