Friday, August 12, 2011

6 months of updates!

I know I've been AGES since last I wrote, but I'm finally here now! So much has happened, I doubt I'm going to be able to remember to update about everything, but I'll do my best.

So to update on the eyes - they're doing great! I can still see better than 20/20, and although I occasionally get dry eyes when I'm really tired or right after I wake up, it's still wonderful to be able to see!

Classes started up again in January, this time we were learning Equine and Exotics! It was a good course, although not really what I want to go into practice for, but I enjoyed learning about it, especially the exotics!

In April I went with Andrew's family to Northern Ireland, which was a lot of fun. I'd been to Belfast before to visit a friend, but we never really saw much outside the city. This time, because we were going for a big orienteering event, we got to see a bit of the countryside! The event was really neat, it's called the JK, and has elite orienteers from all over the world competing. Andrew and his family competed in it as well, and for one of the days he competed Andrew came in first!

We also took one day to go sightseeing, and did a bus tour of Belfast, which was very cool, but also a bit strange. The tour-guide talked about the 'Troubles' which occured in the 60s between the Catholics and the Protestants, and are still very much occurring today, and drove us through the parts of the city affected. It was very strange to see people who probably lived through the troubles watching a tour go by, just going about their lives, and the big 'Peace Walls' which are covered in barbed wire. They had all these paramilitary murals on the walls and stuff. It's hard to explain, but it was very sobering.
*
Paramilitary murals
*
We still got to see some happy things on our day out. We went to see where the Titanic was built, and Queen's University. Andrew and I also went to Giant's Causeway, which is this awesome natural rock formation that resulted from an ancient volcano. It was very beautiful, and a nice relaxing day to spend with Andrew! :)
*
View looking towards the causeway as we come down the steep stairway!
*
Hexagonal rocks that make up Giant's Causeway
*
View from the bottom, looking up to where we stood earlier.
*
Andrew and Me!
*
In May, we had the Dick Vet Ball, which was organised by our year. The theme was Wizard of Oz. It was held at Murrayfield Stadium, which is where the Scottish Rugby team play, and was a really fun time, and a good excuse to get dressed up. Plus the dinner was fantastic!
*
Andrew and me, in our finest!
*
Anik and Me, posing by the cowardly lion that Anik painted!
*
We took exams in May and June, and I actually passed all of the written exams for once! I was pretty pleased with myself, because I studied hard. The only thing I didn't do so well on was the practical farm animal clinical exam. I always get so nervous during practicals, which is really annoying, because I know I know the information! But essentially we were in final year at that point! Thus, at the end of May, we got something very exciting - our Final Year Jackets! They are so comfy and warm, and they have our names on them. The best part is, though, that we are finally in final year!! The only thing left to do was the CLIC course (communications and stuff), which was lots of role playing with fake clients and discussions on communication skills.
*
Erin, Anik and Me showing off our final year Jackets!
*
I then went home for a spur of the moment trip to surprise Jamie and Claire for their bridal shower! So I spent the weekend in Boston! We got to see a Red Sox game, and just hung out, which was nice. I love my friends!
*
Beautiful brides to be, Jamie and Claire!
*
We played toilet paper bridal boudoir, which was hilarious. :)
*
I then popped back to Scotland for Heather and Boney's wedding in St. Andrews, which was beautiful, and a really awesome time! We got to play a few rounds on the putting green at St. Andrews and eat at the cafe where (supposedly) Kate and Wills (cause yeah we're on a first-name basis, haha!) met for coffee.
*
Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Bone!
*
I then went BACK to the USA to do 2 weeks of work at the New Canaan Vet Hospital, had an awesome time at Claire & Jamie's bachelorette weekend and an awesome dinner at Ninja NY, and then Andrew joined me for some New England fun!

First, we had a 4th of July BBQ with my dad and Anna Marie, then we headed off to New Britain, CT to meet my good friend Liz. We hadn't seen each other in probably 7 years or more, so it was great to see her! We were as crazy as ever, and wasted no time before giggling like we used to!
*
The infamous Liz and Me, being silly, as usual!
*
Andrew and I took 2 days and went to NYC. The first night we saw Avenue Q! It is, quite possibly, the most hilarious show I've seen. It is also one of the most creative. We were cracking up through the whole thing! The next day we went back into the city and took the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. It was really fun, but REALLY hot and sunny. It was kind of neat to see the Statue, and Ellis Island, and think about all the people coming to America and how that must have been the first thing they saw. It was very neat.
*
Lady Liberty
*
Liberty Island in the Rain
*
As we were coming back on the ferry we got completely soaked through, but it was totally fun and worth it, and made the heat of the day go away, so it worked out!

We then spent the weekend in Boston, hanging out with Claire and Jamie and the gang and helping out with some wedding preparation, before heading up to Maine! We toured Colby College, where I did my undergrad degree, and then headed up to Bar Harbour for some sightseeing and relaxation!
*
Andrew and I just arrived at our B&B, Cleftstone Manor!
*
A Bar Harbour dinner - yum!
*
We drove up to the top of Mt. Cadillac (sadly no time to hike), and enjoyed the view!
*
We also found some mini golf! Yay Pirates Cove!
*
Then we headed back down to New Hampshire to meet up with everyone and have a wedding!

The night we got there we all put on our 'bridesmaids' shirts, and went out on one of Jamie's family friend's boats for a trip to dinner, and ate yummy food and drank tropical drinks on a beach bar. It was a really fun time, and I enjoyed meeting Claire's friends from childhood, whom I'd heard much about but never actually met before.
*
Bridesmaids!
*
Claire was a beautiful bride! Sadly, Andrew didn't have a good view of Jamie, but she looked awesome too! We'll have to wait for the professional shots! :)
*
Bridal party!
*
Their cake was gorgeous!
Everyone enjoyed Andrew's kilt :P
*
The wedding itself was amazing, held at the Common Man Inn and Spa everything looked so gorgeous, and the party was the time of my life. I can't wait to have a wedding of my own, and I hope it goes just as well!

So anyway, I am back in Scotland at last, and I've been busying myself with the last few weeks of EMS. Anik and I did a week of exotics together at Easter Bush, which was really fun - we got to see bearded dragons, tortoises, parrots, and rabbits, and I learned how to crop-feed a pigeon!

Right now I'm doing a week of ICU, which is incredibly tiring. We started at 9am on Monday morning, and we work through until 9am next Monday morning. Basically we're working night shifts for the week, and we have shifts at 4:30pm, 7:30pm, 9pm, 12am, 4am, 7:30am. Basically during those time we need to walk all the animals, TPR (which means take a temperature, heart rate and respiratory rate) of most of the animals, and do any medical treatments that need done. That is the basics, but we've had a bunch of cases that need constant monitoring, which means that someone needs to be there the whole time making sure the animal is ok. We've had this for a few animals that had to have blood transfusions (you need to make sure the animal doesn't have a reaction to the blood given), and a few animals that just weren't doing so well. The intern on duty, Helen, is incredibly nice, and lets us help with a lot of the treatments, and is really great about teaching us how to do everything! Sadly she's leaving today to enjoy the weekend, so hopefully our next intern will be just as great!

We actually got some sleep last night, which is why I'm awake now, but I think I'm ready to go back to bed now, at 10am! We're halfway done, at least!

I'll try to be more proactive about writing in this thing, but given that final year is probably super busy, we'll see. I'll update when I can! :)

2 comments:

Kaitlin With Honey said...

You have had quite the full life! Everything looks so wonderful. I'm so happy for you.

MISS YOUR FACE! Next time you come back to the U.S., you'd better figure out how to fit in CA.

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Cant believe how fast the time has gone. I looked back and I first commented on blogger in Dec 2008. Well done on getting this far - and you look very happy and settled.

I was thinking about your accident and delaying travelling to Edinburgh for a year - It gave you a year with your mother. It must have been hard to leave her after the diagnosis but I am glad you had that extra time.
I was adopted too - my parents are now in their 80's and live here near me. I have ben lucky.

Good luck with your final year.