Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dick Day!

So the Dick Vets have this day every year, where we get together with the Weegie vets, and kick their butts in sports, called Dick Day. For background, there is a HUGE rivalry between Edinburghians (Edinbuggers) and Glaswegians (Weegies), especially in sports, but also just in life. I personally have nothing against the wee Weegies, but we totally have the better city and the better vet school :-P No I'm just joking, I didn't even get a chance to see the vet school, or much of the city. The part we were in for sports happened to be a bit sketchy, but once we got into the city itself later in the evening it really looked like a great place. I look forward to going there in the daytime sometime.

I didn't actually play in the football game, cause it was freezing, and also because I'm no good at it, and we needed to keep up our winning streak (I think this was the 13th year in a row that we've won), but I had fun watching the game and cheering our team on, despite the ref being a completely biased scumbag (hired of course, by the Weegies). He really was awful. Whenever we "fouled" the weegies (a.k.a. happened to be near one when she tripped), he would give free kicks from directly in front of our goal. Yet whenever one of the weegies clearly shoved one of our teammates down as she was about to kick a goal, he seemed to be looking elsewhere. Also he kept the game going on a good 5 minutes longer than necessary, and gave another direct free kick in the last minute and a half that could have lost the game for us. But, despite this, we still kicked their butts 3-2. Go Dicks!

We also won in boys rugby, which is pretty much the main event. Also so much fun to watch. Guys in tight shorts running into each other trying to cause concussions just never gets old. I also find it (morbidly) amusing to watch someone who's just gotten a concussion, because you can tell they've got one when it takes them 5 seconds or so to figure out which side their tryline is on again, and they're just sort of dazed for a few minutes. I know, that's kind of weird. This time we didn't have any serious injuries, though, other than I think a broken ankle for one of the Guvs (Glasgow University Veterinary Students), so that was good.
*
Me on the sidelines of the rugby match, looking chilly
*
Watching the rugby game. Clockwise from L: Pookish, Anik, Laura, Jo, Cara, Pam, Katie, Me
*
Pookish became "that guy" with his new camera lens....
*
Which resulted in creepy pictures like this one of Anik and Me being taken without our knowledge, from across the pitch.
*
After the game we all headed to the "Walkabout" pub/grill, where we had some yummy food (kangaroo burgers!), and some drinks. It was supposed to be a pub crawl, but it ended up being stationary for 3-ish hours, so my friends and I decided to bail. We walked around Glasgow a bit, then headed for the train home.
*
Walkabout Pub/Grill, where they served ACTUAL kangaroo burgers
*
Lindzie, Me, and Jessica on the train home.
*
It is also worth mentioning that we decided to bail at about 21:30. This is early. Granted, this was (again) a Wednesday night, and we had class the next day, but all the same this tells me that we are getting old. I can no longer keep up with the college freshers. This is all the more apparent because my birthday is tomorrow (23!) and I feel like that's almost 25, which is 1/4 of my life. Ahhh!

Ok I'm done, sorry. I haven't figured out what to do for my birthday this year. I don't know why but I'm just not really into it. I've celebrated my birthday away from home before, so it's not that. It's just like, big whoop. I'm 23. Also I was thinking of going out for Japanese food tonight with my close friends, but then I remember how much studying I haven't yet done and need to do. Meh. I dunno. Maybe by this evening I'll be more into it. We'll see.

Anyway, on to studying before perhaps having some birthday fun later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice one though its too long :)