Saturday, November 15, 2008

007 and my resulting shiner

So Wednesday night was our Football's 007 Cocktail Party. We sold tickets to pretty much everyone, and it was actually really fun. Most of my friends were there, and I met some new and interesting people in the years above me, and good times were had by all. The guys pretty much all wore tuxedos (awesome), and most of the girls wore cocktail dresses. And there was one random guy in a gorilla suit, I'm not quite sure why.
*
I forgot to take a picture of my hair, but it looked something like this. My dress is on the wall in the background. It was pretty :)
*
Jessica and Me, looking beautious!
*
Alan Poon and Me
*
My vet mother Carin and Me.
*
So besides the fact that the party was held at a bar/club with the least classy name I have ever heard (Vodka Revolution), it was pretty awesome. On the way home, however, I managed to get a nice shiner, a sprained (?) wrist, a bruised shoulder, and a bump the size of a baseball on my knee.

I'm not sure what happened after college, but I guess I became accident prone. Granted, the hayloft thing wasn't really my fault, and this wasn't either. Maybe I am just accident-people prone. Anyhoo, so one of my friends, who shall remain nameless, walked out of the club with me at approximately 2am, and grabbed my arm and began to run. However, she wasn't so steady on her feet, and thus she tripped, and fell, still holding onto my arm. And so down I went. My face hit the cobblestones with a resounding crack, and a cab driver had to stop so as not to run us over, laughing at us all the while. We got up (more cautiously this time), and walked back to her flat, and then I made my way back to mine.

So the next day being Thursday (I don't know why people here party on Wednesday night, but it seems a pretty terrible idea to me), I dragged myself to class, and suffered through the day, pretty convinced that my wrist was fractured at least. I don't think it is, because it feels much better now and the swelling is pretty much gone. I probably just sprained it. My face however, still has a nice abrasion on it and is a bit puffy, but it's already going away.

I think it makes for a fantastic story anyway, so totally worth the pain. :)

Other than that, we had a great couple of practical lessons, involving the oral cavity and the digestive system. We walked into the dissection room, with tables full of things like this:
*
I'm not quite sure why this was necessary to our learning, but it was awesome anyway.
*
And this:
Tongues and Pharynxes
*
We also had a really awesome practical on ventilation, which sadly I didn't take any pictures of, but it involved hooking each other up to ventilation moniters and subjecting each other to experiments. I got to watch how my breathing changed when I was breathing from a bag full of pure oxygen for 4 minutes, and as the CO2 in your blood builds up you start breathing really fast and your tidal volume (the volume of air you inspire and expire) goes up. Then we did the same thing with just plain air, but also hooked up to a thing that absorbs CO2. So that way the CO2 in your blood isn't creating the signal to your brain to breathe faster. Thus you breathe normally until you pass out. I did not pass out, because we weren't allowed to keep the experiment up that long. That's basically what happens in altitude sickness. So that was pretty awesome, especially because we got to do it to each other, haha.

Anyhoo, not much is up for this weekend. Pretty much just hanging out and studying, since exams are beginning to look frighteningly close. (Eek!) Also we are going shopping for our rat babies. Mine is named Scabbers, and it's going to be living with Anik's rat babies, Rattikus and Ezekial Rage.
*
My rat baby, Scabbers. He's so cute!
*
Anyway, I'm off to begin the day. Bye!

No comments: