Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More flat pictures!

Here are some more pictures of my flat. It's not all that exciting, except for my room, but here it is anyway!
*
Updated pic of Warrender Park Crescent!
*
Warrender Park Crescent, which I believe used to be a school for young girls. (Picture not taken by me, I found this one on the internet).
*
For reference, my room is to the right on the top level when you're looking at the above picture. So if you look at the pictures in my previous entry of the view out my window, you're looking at the cupola from the right. The gable on the right side (which you can't see in the pic above) is slightly higher than the one on the left, so we are at the highest point in the building. (In the first pic of this entry, we are the gable sticking out of the center/corner of the building.

*
Closeup of my bed, with my new sheets and pillows, and my plants!
*
The kitchen, with my two herb plants on the right! My cabinets are the
ones with no handles to the left of the cooker.
*
The sad little common area of our kitchen.
*
The hallway.
*
So looking at the last picture of the hallway to get some perspective, there are two entrances, one behind where I was standing to take the picture, and one at the other end where the stairs are. Directly to the right, which you can't see too well, is the small hallway to my room and Hannah's room, as well as the kitchen. The bathroom is the next hallway coming off, and beyond that is the little hallway with the toilet, Lucy's bedroom, which is identical to mine, only opposite, and Miriam's bedroom. Also there's a closet down that hallway. The little alcoves on the left are just windows.

So classes have officially started, and so far the first three days have been great. It's still going super fast, but I feel like I'm actually learning stuff at a fairly reasonable pace. Monday we had two lectures on embryology and a computer practical on embryology, Tuesday we had two lectures on cell biology (mostly about stem cells), and a lecture on farm economics.

Today we had our first lectures combined with the second years, and while the information was a bit of an overload, it was still interesting. My only issue was that the lecture was HUGE! At colby the most people we ever had in a lecture was like 50 students, this was like, maybe a bit over 100! The professor had to wear a microphone so we could all hear him. Craziness. I much prefer small schools.

The second years seem nice enough, but they're SO young it boggles my mind! Some of them look like they're 12! Also, it was a bit of a downer to sit down and hear one of them say "we're surrounded by the enemy now," referring to them being surrounded by a bunch of GEP students. And they wonder why our two groups tend to have animosity between them? Not to say that I wont ever associate with any of them, because a lot of them seem perfectly nice, but if that's their general attitude towards us I'm not going to go out of my way to make friends with them.

Anyway, now back to studying, before I go to our weekly dinner at Jessica's.

No comments: