Sunday, January 24, 2010

Half-ish way through!

Hello everyone!

It's been awhile, I know. Life has taken off, and I'm once again busy as a bee with studying and all. So here's the updates since last time I wrote!

Exams: STILL haven't gotten the results back for any of the exams, which I'm disappointed at, but not horribly surprised. I have a feeling I'll be back in August for Clinical Foundations, but honestly I'll be somewhat happy if that's the case, because that's something I really feel like it would be incredibly useful to be forced to study it again this summer since it's all incredibly useful stuff. We'll see I guess!

Christmas: Christmas was fairly low-key, aside from the awful journey, which included a delayed flight, a missed flight, a night in London, three attempts at standby flights, and delayed luggage, before finally making it home. On Christmas eve we went to mass and then Anna Marie's house for dinner. It was very good, and nice to get to know her a bit more. Christmas day my dad and I went to visit my Nana to exchange gifts and say hello, and then went to my cousins house for the traditional Christmas meal. I also got to see my Kaity Lynne and her family. I've known them since 2nd grade, so it was really great to see them! And I FINALLY got a picture of her and I together! :)
*
Me and my Nana!
*
The very lovely dinner setup at my Aunt Jane's and Uncle Jimmy's
*
My Kaity Lynne and my dad! Would you believe this is the FIRST picture I have of both Kaitlin and me?!
*
I got to see my Pookie!
*
I was only home for a week, which seemed a bit too short, especially with the delay in getting home, but I definitely enjoyed being home. I got back to Edinburgh in time for New Years with Andrew, which was really fun. We had a party at his place, and lots of his friends came over, and I got to see the traditional celebration of a New Year, with the proper singing of Auld Lang Syne!

The weekend before classes started up again, I went on a skiing trip up in the Cairngorm Mountains with Andrew and his friends Heather, Boney, Matt and Shugy. The record snowfall this year meant that we had absolutely perfect skiing conditions! I really love all of Andrew's friends, and it was a fun weekend!
*
Boney and Andrew enjoying coffee and toast in the sitting room of our chalet.
*
We got stuck in a queue for the mountain road while they cleared the snow off it. At least it was gorgeous!
*
Our first view of the mountain!
*
Andrew and I, ready to hit the slopes!
*
View from the top of the mountain, at Scotland's highest restaurant.
*
Most of the group - Heather, Matt, Me and Andrew!
*
Loch Morlich, which is below the Cairngorms
*
Standing on the frozen loch! (just on the edge, don't worry!)
*
We found some ducks and fed them the rest of the bread we had.
*
Matt trained them to jump up for bread and Andrew got creative with the camera!
*
The skiing was quite different than skiing I've done on the east coast of the states, because there are hardly any trees, and there was quite a lot more powder than I'm used to. The second day was more windy, so it was a tad icier, which for whatever reason I'm more comfortable skiing on. Either way, it was gorgeous out, and I really enjoyed skiing and hanging out with everyone. There's something great about waking up the next morning being sore from a full day of skiing!

The weekend after classes started, we took a trip to London, to see Wicked! as a birthday present from my dad! Seeing it with the British cast was interesting, because while it was more or less the same show, the accents were so different! The singing was amazing though, and it was just as good as the US show!
*
Trafalgar Square!
*
Andrew and I in front of Buckinham Palace!
*
Buckingham Palace at night!
*
Getting excited to see Wicked!
*
St. Paul's Cathedral from the Millenium Bridge
*
Enjoying a bus tour!
*
The Tower Bridge from our boat tour
*
Sadly the London Eye was closed while we were there, but it was still cool to look at!
*
Big Ben, the London eye, and part of the Abbey!
*
In London we obviously didn't get to see everything, since we only had a weekend, but we got to see a lot! We stayed with Andrew's friend from uni, Sarah and her boyfriend Jon, both of whom were so nice and really helped us out by allowing us to stay. So aside from the pictures above, we went into the National Gallery, and saw lots of famous paintings by Monet, Renois, Degas, Seurat, and Van Gogh. It was cool to see the famous paintings in person! We also saw Shakespeare's Globe Theatre from the outside. We toured the Tower of London and saw the Crown Jewels within (sooo gorgeous and elaborate!). We saw the Covent Garden Market, took a bus tour and a river tour of the Thames.

Anyway, so then this past Friday night was our 'Halfway Dinner', which isn't really half-way through vet school for us, but it is for the 5 year students. Anyway, we all went to the dinner and had a lovely meal. The theme was 'A Night at the Oscars,' so some people were dressed as movie stars, and the rest were in evening wear. Dinner was followed by some fun awards, such as 'Most likely to be sued,' 'Most likely to be chased off a farm by an irate farmer,' 'Most like to come back in 10 years to sleaze on freshers' and things like that. Fortunately I wasn't nominated for anything, haha!
*
I went as Marilyn Monroe with my kilted man! :)
*
The two Marilyn Monroes
*
Party people!
*
Andrew and me
*
I tried to play the part!
*
Anyhoo, classes have been really interesting so far. A lot of it seems fairly straightforward, and we're actually learning to diagnose things and treat them, which is cool. So far we've done the GI tract and orthopedics. Next up is dentistry and opthamology!

Anyway, I've got a full day of class tomorrow, so away I go for some studying before bed!

No comments: