Monday, October 27, 2008

Blustery Days

Hello again everyone!

I am currently procrastinating finishing my paper, so with any luck this will be short, but, knowing me, it will be another novel.

In the last week or so, it's been quite busy with studying and paper-writing as usual. I've gotten a lot done, but I still constantly feel like I have so much studying to do that I'm not sure how I'm going to learn it all. I'm sure it'll all work out eventually, especially once we hand in our papers on Friday and I can get back to the work at hand.

Earlier today we had a practical on the cardiorespiratory system, and we spent 3 hours looking at hearts and lungs of various animals. It was actually quite cool, and the session was organized in such a way that each little group of students had an instructor helping them, and our instructor (who unfortunately I cannot remember what his name was) walked us through the function of the heart and the reasoning behind the different morphologies of the different sides and such. I actually left the lab feeling like I had learned SO much, which usually isn't the case, because I'm usually so overwhelmed with information. I think that's why this system of practicals is better than what we had the first 5 weeks, where we whizzed through the dissection of the entire dog. We're focusing on one thing and learning it well instead of just briefly glancing over it. So overall a productive day.

The weekend was pretty low-key. Jessica, Lydia and I went over to Lydia's flat on Friday night to have dinner and watch "Lars and the Real Girl," which is a fantastic movie, and on Saturday night we all went to the Brass Monkey to hang out and have a pint or two. Then on Sunday we went to the Metropole cafe and worked on our papers for a few hours, then went back to Lydia's for more studying and then some television. All in all a good weekend that even managed to be somewhat productive.

Other than that, I've put football on hold for the moment, because half the time I just am so exhausted from everything else that the last thing I want to do after it all is go run around. Also it was just becoming a time issue, and becoming more of a hassle than fun, despite the fact that I enjoy hanging out with all the football girls. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to learn time-management better and get back into it, but until then school takes priority.

The weather has been crazy windy lately, and I've taken to avoiding walking down the path from my flat to school because I'm afraid a tree branch is going to decapitate me. Seriously it's kind of ridiculous.
*
A broken baby tree up by my flat
*
This is the main reason I am scared to walk on this path. The pic doesn't even include like 3/4 of the branch extending to the right of the picture, and there were about 2 more branches off in the distance that you can't see in the darkness. Crazy!
*
I've also sadly not been able to bike as much, partly because class always seems to be up in the center of town in the morning, which means that it's all uphill on the way there, and it requires a bit more biking skill than I have in me. Also with the weather there are wet leaves everywhere that I'm afraid of killing myself on. Blah, hopefully I'll get more chances to bike that don't involve me exhausting myself on the way to class, cause I do enjoy it.

Anyhoo, the week ahead looks crazy busy. We don't get Wednesday off this week, probably because they're making up for the bank holiday next week, or at least I think that's what it is. We get Monday and Tuesday off. I think my friends and I are thinking of going to Stirling for a visit of the castle, or maybe we'll take a trip to Glasgow or something. Either way, I am looking forward to the small break!

And lastly, in other news, I may have a lambing placement for Easter! We're still waiting to hear the final confirmation from the farmer, in the next two weeks, but there is a strong possibility that I will get a week of lambing in over easter! Yay!

Anyway, back to a bit more paper writing, then bed. Night!

No comments: